Monday, February 13, 2012

Lee Do (Cold Crab) Restaurant, Ubi Avenue, Singapore

Monday, February 13, 2012
Cold Crab, Lee Do
Cold Crab, Lee Do
Cold Crab (Small), $34

Man, cold crabs really get me going. I don't know what it is about them - maybe the aromatic chinese seasoning, firm flesh, or incredibly umami roe. Maybe everything. But at $34 a pop for a cold crab so small it can lie in two parts on my palm, I probably won't be heading to Lee Do everyday. Instead, I've resolved to nail this in the kitchen. Tip: Scroll to the bottom here to learn how you can make it at home.

Prawn Roll, Lee Do
Lee Do Prawn Roll, $15

These prawn rolls looked great but ended up tasting terribly mediocre. They were sliced really thin, and the prawn chunks were so few and tiny it was hard to detect them amidst the gluey (but not unpleasant) fillers. Not worth the price tag at all... You can just check out photos here and here to see what I mean.

Fu Zhou Fish Ball Soup, Lee Do
Fu Zhou Fish Ball Soup, Lee Do
Fu Zhou Fish Ball Soup, $6

I'm a huge fan of Fu Zhou fish ball soup since my grandmother makes really fabulous ones at home. This rendition was pretty decent. The fish balls have a lovely bite that really brings home the greatness of food made by hand. I wished the fillings were more juicy though - I've always thought of Fu Zhou fish balls as a xiao long bao cousin, and the soup within the fish balls was its most precious trait...

Fried Mee Sua, Lee Do
Fried Mee Sua, Lee Do
Fried Mee Sua, $10

The fried mee sua came next and we really enjoyed it, almost as much as the cold crabs. It was incredibly tasty and a great example of fine chinese cooking. I don't think many people understand how difficult it is to coat every strand of noodle so evenly, especially when you're cooking them dry instead of drenching them in gravy. Great dish! Overall though, I don't think there's a strong enough pull for me to head back to Lee Do. I'll be going back to my usual haunt for Fu Zhou cuisine - Singapura Restaurant. Would you recommend any Foo Zhou restaurant you know of?


Lee Do Restaurant
61 Ubi Avenue 2, #01-13 Singapore
Tel: +65 6742 2181


Pin It Now!

Leave a comment (0)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...