Friday, May 10, 2013

320 Below Nitro Cream Café, Singapore - Fresh Ice-Cream

Friday, May 10, 2013
320 Below Nitro Cream Café

I get a little skeptical about molecular gastronomy sometimes (when unnecessarily complicated methods are used to produce largely the same thing), so naturally the first thing that came to my mind at 320 Below was - why bother using liquid nitrogen to make ice-cream? I mean, I don't really mind that little bit of stabilizers and preservatives... But of course, I was proven wrong, as always.

320 Below Nitro Cream Café
320 Below Nitro Cream Café

The ice-cream wasn't just fresh, it literally tasted fresh. And pure. There is absolutely nothing standing in the way between the cream and your choice of flavours, so all you get is smooth, delicious and incredibly fresh-tasting ice-cream. I'm sold. Doesn't hurt that you get to see a bit of a show too, with your ice-cream being made right before your eyes. Flourishes like smoke are complimentary!

320 Below Nitro Cream Café
Banana, $4.50, Christmas Horlicks, $5.30

Since I was in a bananas for bananas phase, I had banana ice-cream, along with their most popular flavour - Christmas horlicks, essentially a mix of honeycomb bits and horlicks ice-cream. Both flavours were completely delicious. The honeycomb was light, crisp and not too sweet - quite irresistible, really. The colourful, cutesy decor wasn't exactly my thing, but at least I got to feel like a teenager all over again. I'll be back for more ice-cream!


320 Below (Nitrogen Cream Café)
#01-01 33 Mackenzie Road
Open: Sun - Thurs: 1pm to 10pm, Fri - Sat: 1pm to 11pm
Website


Pin It Now!

Leave a comment (4)

  1. Hey, stumbled upon your blog. I like your reviews + photos.

    Anyway, I'm sure you knew this, but liquid nitrogen ice cream, by rapidly freezing the cream mixture, has smaller ice crystals than "conventional" ice cream.

    The taste will still depend on the cream mixture, but all things equal, you'll get the same great taste but much smoother texture.

    (It's also why ice cream machines usually have a churning component, the churning helps break up the ice crystals so you don't get a popsicle)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks yk! I finally get why ice cream machines do all that churning. Keep checking back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This ice cream sounds SO good. Looks really beautiful as well. great job.

    If you are looking for ice cream machines then visit our website www.pizzadirect.co.uk, we are the No.1 ledaing comapny in uk for ice cream machines.

    ice cream machines

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought my tandoori oven and ice cream machine from these guys

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...