Thursday, June 24, 2010

New Bangkok Restaurant, Wan Chai, Hong Kong

Thursday, June 24, 2010
The other day, my friend asked if I wanted to try a Thai restaurant in Wan Chai. He had spotted the restaurant during one of his tram rides home. He said it was popular with the locals, and always packed even in the later hours of the night (9-10pm). I've been eager to try "Thai Shrimp Sashimi" ever since I read about it in CNNGo.com's 40 Hong Kong foods we can't live without, so I was thrilled that my friend had found a seemingly authentic Thai restaurant.

After a short bumpy tram ride, we arrived at the restaurant, took our orders and were not disappointed(: We ordered too many dishes for two people (it's a bad habit of ours) but it was one dinner we really enjoyed.

Thai Shrimp Sashimi

The Thai Shrimp Sashimi was served on top of a platter of ice, along with slices of garlic and a sweet and spicy chilli dip. I've never had shrimp sashimi that looked like this. I mean, I was used to the reddish hue of shrimp sashimi in Japanese restaurants, and this platter of shrimp sashimi before me looked like the ones I could easily get from any market, or even supermarket. In other words, the shrimp sashimi looked like they were the kind of shrimp that were meant to be cooked and not eaten raw. Regardless, I took my first bite, and all my inhibitions disapparated. It had a good bite to it, and tasted surprisingly fresh. I dipped my second shrimp in the chilli sauce, and the sweet and spicy flavours added dimension to the texture of the prawn. yummy. I paired my third shrimp with a slice of garlic. I'm not usually a fan of raw garlic, but the sharp bite of the thin garlic slice went well with the shrimp here, and I found myself pairing the remaining shrimps with both the garlic and chillic sauce. A good start indeed.

Thai Green Curry (Beef)

This was our favourite dish of the night. The photo does not do it justice. The Thai Green Curry Beef was extremely rich and flavourful, the kind that is perfect over rice. They were generous with the beef chunks too, even though the bowl looked deceptively small. The beef was flavourful and had a great texture. We eventually finished the entire bowl of green curry and decided, almost immediately, that we will definitely come back. And we will definitely order this dish again.

Olive Fried Rice (top), Oyster egg omelette (bottom)

The oyster egg omelette and fried rice wasn't bad, but wasn't particular good either. The oysters were not that fresh, but you can see just how generous they are with the servings. The fried rice would have been really tasty if it came piping hot, instead of lukewarm.

We finished the meal off with a dessert of Mango and Sticky Rice. It was delish. But traditionists beware, instead of the usual sticky rice, New Bangkok Restaurant serves theirs with Pulut Hitam. I happen to love Pulut Hitam so it was a pleasant surprise. All in all, we had a good meal, and it was fun spying on what the other diners were enjoying. The fish dishes in particular seem to be really popular and we are definitely ordering that the next time!


New Bangkok Restaurant
366 Henessy Road, Wan Chai
Mon to Sun, 11:30 PM to 02:00 AM
Last order at 00:30 AM
Tel: 2575 8981



Pin It Now!

Leave a comment (0)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...