Thursday, August 26, 2010

Street Food at Chatuchak, Bangkok, Thailand

Thursday, August 26, 2010
Coconut Ice-cream

Our Saturday was spent exploring the never-ending maze of street stalls that was Chatuchak. The stalls were so varied, you would probably be able to find almost everything here, from second-hand shoes to local designer tees to homeware to pets. It was great just strolling around and taking in the sights, though the sun tried a little too hard to join in the fun. This coconut ice-cream saved us!

Most value for money scoop of coconut ice-cream ever

It's hard not to fall in love with this one. For just 25 baht, you get a mini cup of coconut juice, plus a scoop of coconut ice-cream in half a coconut husk where the coconut flesh has already been scooped for you. Top that with a sprinkle of nuts. This coconut ice-cream topped the class!

Fresh Fruit Juices

Then there's the fresh juices you can't go wrong with. Refreshing and cold, these were really greattt in the scorching heat.

Assorted barbequed and roasted pork

We didn't try this one, but it sure looked good. Comes with sticky rice too! The selection included bbq-ed pork (char siew) as well as roasted pork (siew yuk).

Assorted barbequed kebabs

As we were wandering around the market, we found this stall selling kebabs among many stalls on the outskirts of chatuchak. I really wanted to try a pork kebab, so I pointed to the kebab that looked the meatiest. As it turned out, I chose the fats and bones kebab! I was so disappointed! To its credit though, the sauce it was drenched in was reallyyy good.

Pork with Basil (Pad Ka Prao Moo) and Thai Omelette (Kai Jeow)

Eventually, we decided to take a rest and found an area with lots of stalls and tables squeezed under a tent/canopy. M ordered his favourite Thai dish, Pork with Basil and Rice (Pad Ka Prao Moo) with Thai Omelette (Kai Jeow). This is fast becoming my favourite dish too. The pork packed a punch (spot the chillies?), and kai jeow is really something - fluffy and absolutely tasty! Apparently kai jeow is done by frying the omelette in lots of oil at really high heat. I don't know about you, but that just sounds absolutely brilliant to me!

Fried Fish Cake

These were a pleasant surprise. I thought it would taste, well, just like fish cakes in Singapore. I was quite wrong. These fish cakes were well seasoned (with Thai spices I suppose), freshly fried (which means the crispy skin gives way to soft insides) and comes with a dollop of Thai sweet chilli sauce.

Close up of fish cake

Really surprisingly yummy stuff! I would get them again, definitely, if I go back to Chatuchak.

 Fried Quail Eggs

These were okay. It's really just quail eggs with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Very simple, but still quite a tasty snack.

Som Tam Poo(papaya salad with salty crab)

As predictable as it may be, som tam (papaya salad) is my favourite thai salad! It has just the right balance of sweet, spicy, and sour. I love it. When we ordered the salad, the lady asked if we wanted it spicy, and without even thinking twice, I said yes! As it turns out, the som tam was really, really spicy. It could be one of the spiciest dishes I've ever had in my life, and I'm quite good at taking spice too. My tongue was tingling, but it was so addictive I couldn't stop eating. In the end, we had to order a juice to save ourselves. Great stuff! The salty crabs bring in a taste of the sea, a unique sea saltiness I personally enjoyed. As you can see from the colour of the tiny crab though, it's definitely raw. I don't know how safe it is to eat raw crabs from a street stall (I just read some really nasty stories off the web), but we're both alive and kicking. They have a few variations of som tam, but we thought this would be the most interesting option, and it was.. if you're brave enough to try it!


How to get to Chatuchak?
SkyTrain BTS
alight at Sapan Khwai Station or Mochit Station
MRT
alight at Kamphaenpetch Station
Bus No. 3,826,27,28,29,34,38,39,44,52,59,63,77,90,96,104,408,112,122, 134,136,138,153,159
Aircondition Bus No. 2,3,9,18,19,28,34,39,44,134,145,153,510,512,513

Other Bangkok Posts
Buri Tara Bar and Restaurant
Icedea at BACC
Street Food at Pratunam Petchaburi 15 


Pin It Now!

Leave a comment (0)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...