Thursday, October 21, 2010

Wild Honey, Ion Orchard, Singapore

Thursday, October 21, 2010
Wild Honey, Mandarin Gallery

My lovely mother decided to bring the family to Wild Honey for sunday brunch. This was actually a first for us as a family. My parents love the idea of Beach Road Prawn Mee for breakfast, or dim sum brunch at Wah Lok, but a western sunday brunch? Unless we're on a holiday. So this almost felt like a pretend holiday!

Mocha, Cappuccino, Coffee
Mocha (top), Cappuccino (bottom), $7

My mum, the lady in green, had a mocha, while my dad had a cappuccino. That's the pepper mill behind the sugar cubes, which is always a nice touch. Freshly ground pepper tastes so much better, don't you think?

Caramel Latte, Coffee
Caramel Latte, $7

 My lil sister (not so little, actually) and I had a caramel latte each, which was really lovely. Other than the caramel decorating the foam, there's some hiding right at the bottom too, which lent a wonderful sweetness to the latte that was perfectly balanced.

Breakfast, Poached Eggs, Sauteed Mushrooms, Prosciutto
European - Poached Eggs, Sautéed Mushrooms, Prosciutto, Toasted Brioche and Hollandaise Sauce, $18

Doesn't this look gorgeous? This was my pick, wild honey's version of eggs benedict. The hollandaise sauce and sautéed mushrooms were really good, and the poached eggs were perfectly runny. I love the prosciutto but I wish it was sliced thinner, cause even though it's prosciutto, it's really, really chewy when it's thick. Prosciutto is meant to be a little chewy, but not too much, so it's at its best when it's sliced really thin. Here, it's actually folded over once (to hold the poached egg better I suppose), so if you fan it out I promise you'll enjoy the prosciutto a lot more!

Breakfast, Scrambled Eggs, Pork Sausage, Sauteed Mushrooms, Bacon
English - Scrambled Eggs, Pork Sausage, Sautéed Mushrooms, Baked Beans, Bacon and Toasted Brioche, $22

My dad had the English fry-up, which was a really hearty platter perfect for the dudes. Everything's here including vine ripened tomatoes. It's greasy, artery-clogging satisfaction. This is definitely not meant to be consumed on a regular basis!

Breakfast, Red Pepper, Onions, Chorizo Sausage
Tunisian - Red Pepper, Onions and Tomato Concise (Stew) with Sliced Chorizo Sausage and Two Fried Eggs, $18

My mum, who loves everything spicy, had the tunisian, which apparently wasn't spicy enough for her! I would say it's spicy enough as far as conventional western spicy standards go, and the brioche was perfect for dunking into the tomato concise. The chorizo sausages were pretty good too.

Breakfast, Spanish Styled Eggs, Prosciutto
Basque - Spanish-styled Eggs with Melted Red Peppers and Onions, Prosciutto and Toasted Brioche, $18

The Basque was alright I guess. The spanish-styled eggs seemed to be just scrambled eggs topped with peppers and onions. My sis actually left some prosciutto untouched cause she found it too thick and porky (whoops, one man's meat is another man's poison) but she loved my sautéed mushrooms. I guess she'd have preferred the European. Each of the sets were surprisingly heavy - we were all really full at the end of our pretend holiday sunday brunch. Breakfast for four came up to around 120 dollars, which I guess does contribute to the "holiday vibe". And that's really what Wild Honey is all about. Value isn't the proposition here, it's the ambience - having brunch in a comfortable and quaint setting sipping coffee. A little luxury can go a long way in lifting the spirits sometimes, don't you think?

P.S. If you happen to be heading to Hong Kong anytime soon, Brunch Club is one really quaint café restaurant that I love - the ambience is great, it serves a decent breakfast, and the prices are surprisingly reasonable(:


Wild Honey
#03-02, Mandarin Gallery,
Orchard Road, Singapore
Tel:  (65) 6235 3900


Pin It Now!

Leave a comment (0)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...