Monday, March 3, 2014

My Awesome Café, Indeed - Telok Ayer, Singapore

Monday, March 3, 2014
My Awesome Cafe
My Awesome Café

My Awesome Café has the kind of laid-back charm that draws you in the minute you see it. All the diners are relaxed, casually people-watching and chowing on wholesome sandwiches - it's a picture perfect scene that I wanted to be a part of immediately. It's not everyday that a café plays up retro kitsch to such marvellous effect. Plus, the bread I was eyeing looked pretty amazing.

Flat White, My Awesome Cafe
1/4 Salmon Quiche, My Awesome Cafe
1/4 Salmon Quiche with Coffee, $9.90

My gut instinct has on occasions led me to disasters of the worst order but this time it served me well. The menu may be limited, but ingredients are fresh, sides of leafy greens are generous, and the freshly baked goods (namely the baguette, croissant and quiche) are quite lovely for the price. Okay, I would dig a quiche with more egg and less crust. Apart from that, my only other complaint is the coffee - I ordered a flat white that came across a little weak, but that could be teething issues.

My Awesome Salad, My Awesome Cafe
Croissant with Scrambled Eggs and Ham, My Awesome Cafe
My Awesome Salad, $14, Croissant with Scrambled Eggs and Ham + Coffee, $8.90

Most of the salads here have a sandwich equivalent - now, when in doubt, I would recommend ladies to get the salads, and men to chow the sandwiches. The main difference appears to be the bread to greens ratio (scroll up and down to see what I mean). But of course, the house namesake salad, a mix of most of the best things you could assemble in a single salad (think avocado, smoked salmon, herbed chicken breast and a sinfully creamy duck rillette) is a combination fit for grown men too. The honey glazed ham served here is thinly shaved and tasted wonderful - perfect with the croissant, although I am more a fan of slightly clumpy scrambled eggs (saw clumpier scrambled eggs elsewhere on the web - teething issues too, perhaps?) .

Duck Rillette Sandwich, My Awesome Cafe
Cold Cuts Platter, My Awesome Cafe
Duck Rillette Sandwich, $13, Cold Cuts Platter with Bread, $20

The duck rillette here is absolutely delicious, and is also included as part of the cold cuts platter, which is my favourite dish on the menu. The cold cuts and home-made spreads are very, very good for the price, with free flow of bread (good luck even finishing the first basket). Not sure what went into the duck pâté, but it tasted pretty damned good. This is probably my go-to dish at My Awesome Café from now on. This time, I came after sundown and had a platter of cold cuts with a few happy hour pours of Stella Artois ($11), Hoegaarden ($13) and Leffe ($11) - this is the life, my friends. Oh, as you can see from the top picture, the open-face sandwiches here are very filling.

Bread with Cold Cuts Platter, My Awesome Cafe

There are a couple of hits and misses and some teething issues (which I'll update as I return on more visits), but My Awesome café channels a wonderful European vibe with a good buzz perfect for friends.

Recommendations: Cold Cuts Platter, Duck Rillette, My Awesome Salad


My Awesome Café
202 Telok Ayer Singapore
Tel: +65 8428 0102
Open: 7am - 9pm (week days), 10am-3pm (weekends)
Website


Pin It Now!

Leave a comment (2)

  1. Great review, thanks for sharing. Makes me want to visit the place too. There is this map called CafeSG that lets you find all the local cafes in Singapore! Super useful for cafe hopping and to discover new cafes near home and workplace.

    http://cafesg.bigspoon.sg/

    Hope to see more reviews from you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had an awesome meal! Went there previously, and quite like the ambiance. Food wise, there's room for improvement :)

    http://foodesteem.blogspot.com/2014/05/my-awesome-cafe.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...