Thursday, August 21, 2014

Lunch @ Dinings, London - Remarkable Sushi

Thursday, August 21, 2014
Dinings, Marylebone, London
Dinings, London

Dinings, for a sashimi-phile like myself, is a god sent. There is an emphasis on quality ingredients and just the right mix of traditional and the more say, contemporary creations. It's a quaint, tiny set-up owned by ex-Nobu chef Tomonari Chiba, with a sushi counter on the ground level and a small, minimalist dining area in the basement. Since it was a breezy summer when I visited, dining at the sushi counter where we had a clear view of the chefs working their magic was a no-brainer. I didn't know then, but I was about to be blown away by some of the best sushi I've ever had.

Dinings, London
Dinings, London
Dinings, London
Sushi Mori 10, £24.95 (chefs' selection of 10pcs of traditional sushi served with miso soup)

Both my dining companion and I had the Sushi Mori lunch set, the only sushi set served - the remaining selection of lunch sets were donburi-style i.e. rice bowls. It was marvellous. All ten nigiri sushi were beautifully prepared, and each of them incredibly sweet and fresh. The deep fried prawn head, which was light, crisp, and utterly delicious (as you can imagine), was not just quirky but also a brilliant use of ingredients. The chutoro (medium fatty tuna) stood out, as usual. But the rest of sashimi pulled their weight, taking turns to awe us almost equally, whether it was the sweet, succulent scallop or one of the unidentifiable fish that teasingly melted on our tongue.

Dinings, London
Seared wagyu beef sushi topped with foie-gras and sweet soy, £8.45 each

Honestly, I didn't know when I would be back in London, so I couldn't pass up trying possibly the most famed item on the menu - the Seared Wagyu Beef Sushi topped with Foie-gras and Sweet Soy. It's one of those creations that sounds kitsch and cheesy because the ingredients used are so obvious - by which I mean, how could anyone put seared wagyu and foie gras together and go even remotely wrong? But the impeccable quality of the ingredients, so expertly prepared, blew all my sceptical socks away.

Dinings, London
Fresh truffle ice-cream, £7

We threw in a scoop of Fresh Truffle Ice-cream for good measure. Boy, was I glad we did. The hint of truffle was just strong enough without overpowering the sweet milk-based ice-cream - might sound strange but truly tasted wonderful.

Dinings, London

Always thought that the best thing a travelling visitor can hope for is a last meal that makes the heart swell with an aching anticipation of experiencing even more - I certainly got my wish. Till next time, London!


Dinings
22 Harcourt street
London
w1h 4hh
Tel: (44) (0)2077230666
Website


Pin It Now!

Leave a comment (0)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...