Saturday, August 28, 2010

Ootoya, Bangkok, Thailand

Saturday, August 28, 2010
Katsudon Set

When I told my friend some time back that I would be doing a short trip to Bangkok, on top of his countless Thai recommendations, he told me I should try Ootoya at Siam Paragon, because it's a really good Japanese restaurant, and the prices are apparently much better here. It's not reflected anywhere in this blog yet, but I love Japanese cuisine. Naturally, I told M about this great Japanese restaurant that my friend highly recommended, and we made our way there for dinner on our third day!

Ootoya serves up simple, satisfying Japanese meals that feels like what you'll be having if your Japanese friends invited you to their house for dinner. This means that the food might seem pretty simple, and even a little bland to some. Not to me though. Look at that gorgeous bowl of katsudon! It was done to perfection. The crispy pork loin paired with the slightly runny egg was almost too good to be true. Each portion of the pork loin cutlet was thick and juicy, and there was even an additional portion hidden beneath the first layer. The egg was loosely beaten, and some runny yolk was hidden beneath the white. Gorgeous! The set comes with miso soup, a side of vegetables and pickles.

Niku Udon

The niku udon was simple but delicious. The broth is light and clean, and the thin beef slices went really well with the udon. M, who prefers stronger flavours, found the broth a tad bland though. We also ordered a poached egg to go with the udon, which was a great idea. The soup tasted even better with the poached egg mixed into it! The selection at Ootoya might be a little limited, but I have no qualms about it since it certainly seems as though everything they serve are executed excellently. I'm definitely trying out Ootoya in Singapore!


Ootoya
Siam Paragon (GF - Food Hall)
991, Rama 1 Rd, Pathum Wan,
Bangkok, Thailand
Tel: 02-610-7521

Other Bangkok Posts
Buri Tara Bar and Restaurant
Icedea at BACC
Street Food at Pratunam Petchaburi 15 


Pin It Now!

Leave a comment (0)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...