Friday, September 17, 2010

Ramen Santouka, The Central, Singapore

Friday, September 17, 2010
Ramen Santouka, Central, Clarke Quay
Ramen Santouka

Singapore can be a really queer place. It's known to be sunny year round, but occasionally, for some strange reason, it can get pretty cold. So I woke up one morning, thought to myself that the air seemed kinda chilly, and went out clad in a casual long sleeve button down and high waisted shorts (which was pretty thick, in fact), and still felt the chills. The first thought that went into my head was, wow it's a perfect day for ramen. So fast forward to the end of the day, and the all-too-familiar heat was back again. I told you Singapore was queer. M and I still decided to have ramen anyway.

Japanese Ramen Egg
Gorgeous Egg

Santouka is one of those big name ramen-yas that truly deserve a visit. The egg was gorgeous, though I do have a fantastic tolerance for the molten-ness, I love it half molten like this, and I love it really molten too. When it's half molten like this, it's creamy and still retains a little bite, and tastes great when it's mixed with the hearty broth. 

Japanese Shio Ramen
Shio Ramen

Of course everyone's here for the pork cheek (tokusen toruniku) ramen, but I figured we should try the normal ramen too, you know, just to see the difference. As it turns out, the difference was really obvious! I had the normal ramen, flavoured with shio (salt), which I personally enjoyed. The broth was really flavourful and aromatic. Utterly delicious! The char siew was a little tough though, also a little salty, but really flavourful as well.

Japanese Tokusen Toroniku Ramen, Shoyu
Tokusen Toroniku Ramen (Shoyu)

Therein lies the difference. It's the texture. I mean, other than the fact that the pork cheek char siew was sliced more thinly, you have to agree that both char siew looked pretty similar. But they couldn't taste more different. It's pretty unbelievable actually. But all it takes is one bite into the pork cheek, a split second as it literally melts in your mouth, and then you'd suddenly understand. There's a reason why everyone's loving this ramen. It's a lovely cut of meat, well-marbled with fats though you can hardly see them, sinful but sooo good. M  chose to have his ramen flavoured with shoyu, and the broth was equally delicious.

Japanese Tokusen Toroniku
Close up of the pork cheeks

I mean, does this really look like it's gonna melt in your mouth? Looks can be so deceiving!

Japanese Gyoza
Gyoza

We also had an order of gyoza, which were okay. I liked that they provided condiments like chilli oil and vinegar along with the gyoza, I had fun mixing my own dip!


Ramen Santouka
The Central, #02-86
6 Eu Tong Sen Street, Singapore
Tel: (65) 6224 0668
11am to 9.30pm daily


Pin It Now!

Leave a comment (0)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...