Friday, September 24, 2010

Tao's Restaurant, Paradiz Centre, Singapore

Friday, September 24, 2010
Tao, Mango Sorbet
Mango Sorbet

Hello there, aren't you glad that friday is here? I feel really lucky everytime M whisks me off to dinner at the end of a long week. Here we are at Tao's, and our meal started with a Mango Sorbet that I didn't understand. It wasn't unpleasant, but doesn't this look like a melted slurpee in disguise? A real Mango Sorbet with mango chunks would be nice, wouldn't it?

Tao, Toast, Bacon and Mushroom Gratin
Toast, Bacon and Mushroom Gratin

I love cheese, so the bacon and mushroom gratin was an instant hit. The bread was nicely toasted, and surpisingly light. To be completely honest though, I was looking forward to the bacon and mushroom in the gratin, both my favourite, but I didn't really find them. Was it just my luck? If this was named Cheese Gratin, I wouldn't have an issue cause I actually liked this. But since it's a Bacon and Mushroom gratin, the bacon and mushroom should be the stars, not side-kicks, don't you think?

Tao, Fruit Salad
Fruit Salad

We liked this. The layer of mock crab meat that topped the fruit salad was a pleasant surprise, and went pretty well with the assorted fruits!

Tao, Prawn Roll with Pork Floss
Prawn Roll with Pork Floss

This was a popiah-style prawn roll that was pretty tasty too.

Tao, Grilled Abalone Mushroom
Grilled Mushroom

The abalone mushrooms were quite nicely grilled, though the black pepper sauce tasted just a little generic.

Tao, Rose Apple Tea, Grassjelly Mint Tea
Ice Rose Apple Tea and Ice Grassjelly Mint Tea

We loved the Ice Rose Apple Tea, and serving the tea with Tao Tzu tea cups was a nice touch.

Tao, Cream of Mushroom
Cream of Mushroom

This is M's favourite cream of mushroom soup. It's quite a light version, with ground mushrooms and a hint of sourness. Sour cream maybe? I'm gonna try to replicate this at home!

Tao, Japanese Fish Consomme
Japanese Fish Consomme

Oh I loved this. It's just a bonito broth with assorted veg cubes for extra flavour, but I love bonito and this was very pleasant.

Tao, Slow-cooked Pork Back Ribs
Slow-cooked Pork Back Ribs

My mains! This is an award-winning dish of Tao's and was pretty tasty. I guess if you're coming to Tao's, the mains should be your main draw, cause the rest of the dishes are really just okay.

Tao, Marinated Lamb Cutlet
Marinated Lamb Cutlet

This, however, stole the show. The lamb cutlet was ridiculously tasty even without the mint sauce. In fact, I liked it better without the sauce. The flavour was perfect! The doneness of the lamb was medium, which turned out really great. I would come back just for this!

Tao, Tiramisu, Dessert
Tao, Creme Brulee, Dessert
Tiramisu, Creme Brulee

The desserts were alright. A 7 course dinner set meal for 29.80++ is definitely a great deal, but if I can find better lamb chops for lesser, I have no incentive to return. Lunch would probably be a better idea, at 19.80++!


Tao's Restaurant
#B1-19 Paradiz Centre
1 Selegie Road, Singapore
Tel: (65) 6339 8858



Pin It Now!

Leave a comment (0)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...