Monday, January 10, 2011

The Almost Extinct Oyster Pancake

Monday, January 10, 2011
DSC_0435
DSC_0431
Fuzhou Oyster Pancakes

If you're a fan of oysters, you have to be a fan of Fuzhou oyster pancakes. To me, this is as natural and certain as the law of gravity (or any other law you can think of). So, imagine my surprise when I found out that this incredibly savoury snack just isn't as popular as I thought it should be. You will never have a problem finding a Chicken Rice or Hokkien Mee stall in Hawker Centres or Food Courts, but a Fuzhou Oyster Pancake stall? You can probably count the number of stalls in the whole of Singapore with your fingers. As a kid, my dad would return from work on some days with small brown paper bags of Fuzhou oyster pancakes that would fill the house with a wonderful aroma of fried batter, oysters and pork. Imagine that! I would be extremely thrilled every single time, and finish my dinner as quickly as I can just to crunch into my favourite snack. My dad always buys at least three pancakes, so I would secretly hope that my mum wouldn't feel like eating hers, because then I'll get to have two instead of just one.

Even when I grew older, and started missing dinners and going home at late or unearthly hours because of school, I would return home on some days to see a small brown paper bag on my desk, and feel an incredible warmth in my heart because to me, that oyster pancake has almost become a symbol of my dad's love. I simply don't know how anyone can resist the combination of oysters and marinated minced pork enveloped in a crispy batter. How can you say no to such a beautiful combination of flavours? But if I'm having an oyster pancake, it has to be Fuzhou Style oyster pancake - there must be pork. Any other version just falls short. Granted, this snack is probably not the best thing for your health, but it's so worth the occasional calorie splurge.

To the best of my knowledge, the stalls at Amoy Food Centre (pictured) and Maxwell Food Centre churns out the best oyster pancakes. Those are the ones my dad brings home for me. I also get really excited whenever I chance upon an old couple selling Fuzhou oyster pancakes in the really huge pasar malam held in Bedok Central from time to time. It's a tiny stall that only sells oyster pancakes (and recently fried drumsticks too I believe). Sometimes, I wonder just how much longer I'll get to eat their oyster pancakes... Is anyone else disturbed by the fact that the Fuzhou oyster pancake trade might just disappear one day? I really am.


Amoy Road Food Centre
Hong's Oyster Pancake Shoppe, #02-102,
7 Maxwell Road, S069111

Maxwell Road Food Centre
Maxwell Fuzhou Oyster Cake, Stall #22
10am to 6pm daily


Pin It Now!

Leave a comment (8)

  1. Thanks for sharing this. I'm feeling hungry already as I read your post. I thought these oyster cakes are no longer in existence. Looks like I gotta head out to these stores soon to get my fix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one who enjoys these oyster pancakes(:

    ReplyDelete
  3. im a fan of oyster pancakes too!

    there is one more such stall along kitchener road, if you ask me, that stall taste even better than maxwell.

    its much moist on the inside and crispy on the outside :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha wow, that sounds really good. Thanks for the recommendation! I'm definitely trying it soon(:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is this stall still around? I went there sometime last week and the stall name had changed and it was closed. Do you have any slightest idea?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am referring to Hong's Oyster Pancake Shoppe by the way.

      Delete
  6. Hong's oyster pancake shop is no longer in business I heard it from the boss lady when I went to eat this delicious pancakes on the last day of opening. It's the sad truth. Hope I helped

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you anon. I dropped the lady boss a text message yesterday and she replied me the same thing as well. She ceased her business last year due to health problems.. terribly saddening. You're lucky to be one of the last to taste her oyster pancakes!

    I went to the stall at Maxwell last week and the drop in standard was quite a shock. The oyster pancake must have been left there for some time - it was literally hard and cold. I really need to make my way down to the stall along Kitchener road soon..

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...